We all know that orange fruits are one of the richest foods in vitamin C. But do we know all the benefits of this vitamin? What other nutrients do oranges provide us?
Surely you have ever heard that oranges help to cure colds or even prevent them. It has been shown that this is not entirely true. Still, it is proven that vitamin C is essential for the proper functioning of our immune system, it is also a necessary nutrient for our normal growth and development since it participates in many processes of the body.
Orange Fruits, What beneficial effects does vitamin C have?
Beyond its ability to strengthen defenses, vitamin C has other key functions in maintaining good physical and mental health. Below we mention the most important:
Orange fruit is a powerful antioxidant; it blocks the damage caused by the famous and hated free radicals responsible for ageing.
Participates in the growth and repair of connective tissue, helping us to maintain smoother skin, among other effects, as well as in the formation of collagen.
- It helps to prevent degenerative diseases.
- Strengthens our immune system.
- Reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Other properties of orange
Other vitamins present in this citrus fruit are vitamin B6, and vitamin A, which is also an antioxidant, an effect that adds to that of vitamin C. Oranges also contain:
1. Folic acid
- It is a group B vitamin necessary for the proper functioning of the heart and essential for pregnant women.
- Their participation is essential for the formation of the central nervous system, which is formed in humans between the first 15 and 28 days of gestation.
- They are compounds with proven anti-cancer properties. Some of them, like hesperidin, have a protective effect on blood capillaries, thus helping in the treatment of varicose veins and haemorrhoids.
- These nutrients are found in the epicarp of the orange, the white layer between the rind and the pulp of the fruit.
3. Calcium, potassium, and magnesium
- They are also a source of essential elements such as calcium, potassium, and magnesium, which are extremely important in the proper functioning of our body. Its essential functions are so many that we would need an article to talk about each one of them.
- We have all heard of the fundamental role of calcium in the formation and structure of our bones, the vital role of potassium in our cardiovascular system, or the importance of magnesium to maintain blood pressure at its optimal levels.
- Oranges are also a source of fibre that will help us maintain optimal intestinal activity and fight constipation naturally and healthily.
- Eating fibre has also been shown to help prevent high cholesterol, obesity, or diseases like diabetes. It is found in various cereals and vegetables.
Different ways to consume oranges fruits
Another of the great advantages of these oranges fruits is that it is very versatile and can be included in many ways in the diet. In addition, it is low in calories and can be taken without fear of gaining weight.
- Whole and natural is surely the best way to consume it, since this way we take advantage of all the benefits of the pulp, the juice, and the inner skin. It also produces more satiety.
- In juices, it is very refreshing and tasty; depending on the orange, it can be sweetened with a little sugar, but it should be taken as soon as possible to avoid the loss of some nutrients.
- In dishes or meals such as salads. It is a fresh fruit with a lot of flavors that can be combined with other fruits and different foods.
As you have seen, we are talking about one of the richest foods in nutrients and with the most benefits. If we add to this that they are delicious and that we can practically eat them all year round thanks to the innumerable varieties that exist, do you think we can find a better dessert?
Also Read- Health Benefits Of Pitahaya Or Dragon Fruit